Job Title: Director of Product
Department: Research & Development
Reporting to: CPO
Director of Product
Roam is a technology company that develops, designs and deploys electric vehicles and energy systems tailored for the African continent, leading the transition to sustainable transport. We focus on designing and co-developing tailored products for the local use-case that unlocks mass-scale deployment to a completely untapped market.
About the role:
We are looking for a Director of Product to support our massive scale up of local assembly of electric motorcycles and buses. The main areas we require excellence in are building organization and processes for efficient product development, team prioritization as well as building strategic roadmaps for an extremely rapid growth of our organization.
You will be responsible for heading the three product segments, motorcycles, buses and energy systems, contributing to the overall product strategy while also ensuring seamless and efficient development processes across the product’s value chain. The ideal candidate must have experience scaling hardware products with complex supply chain and assembly processes.
Key Duties and responsibilities:
- Evaluating new technology/solutions and incorporating it into existing products or creating new products based on new technology or solutions
- Improving and working on process within Product Optimization, Systems Integration, Release Management and Risk Management
- Maintaining relationships with engineering, production, and after-sales to ensure that product quality is maintained throughout the product life cycle
- Developing product communication together with communications team
- Meeting with customers to discuss product development improvements and providing proposals for solutions
- Reviewing and capturing user feedback and market data
- Working with product teams to develop structures and help with recruitment
- Identifying market trends and consumer preferences to ensure informed product decisions
- Holding meetings with product team members to discuss upcoming product developments and strategy
- Update and prepare product strategy for management review, status update and providing feedback.
- Implement and co-create an overall product strategy
- Responsible for structuring the product departments, hierarchy and team structure
- Maintain close communication with engineering, production, and commercial by updating on the status of progress of product management/development and releases.
- Will be responsible for creating and maintaining product processes and structures.
- Prepare, maintain, and monitor departmental budget whilst ensuring key departmental plans are realized more cost-effectively
- Review procedures periodically to ensure that they maintain in line with changing business requirements and reflect best practice.
- Review and develop policies and procedures and identify process bottlenecks and implement solutions promptly
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience in Product Management/Development
- Must have a relevant bachelor's degree/ Diploma in Engineering or Project Management
- Preferably previous experience from the Automotive sector and/or Electric mobility.
- Must have experience working with Product Development Process and building Product Teams
Career Level: Director Level
Location: Nairobi/ Kenya
Deadline: 1st December 2022
We aim to contact all our applicants, but due to high volumes of applications only shortlisted candidates are contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks your application has not been successful on this occasion. This does not mean you will not be considered for future roles so please keep an eye on our job board and apply for positions that match your skills and experience